Before actually packing-up, you need to have a game plan. For example:
- Pack one room at a time. This will help you when it comes time to unpack.
- Pack a couple of cartons a day, starting well ahead of the move.
- Mark all boxes, designating room and box number. Make a carton identification log to show the number of boxes packed per room, and the number of cartons packed. It's a good idea to leave space in your log for a special comments section to note carton conditions or location of high-value goods. Notify your mover of any high-value items.
- Be sure to have plenty of "filling" material available.
- Be sure that the bottoms of all cartons are secured and will hold the weight of the contents.
- Packing tape or gummed tape is better than masking tape.
- Pack heavier items toward the bottom of the box and light toward the top. Try to keep a per-box weight of 50 pounds or less; it makes moving a lot easier. A general rule to remember on carton size-the heavier the item, the smaller the carton.